Birmingham Tech Week is a not-for-profit community initiative (CIC) which aims to raise the profile of the Birmingham tech scene, encourage inward investment, inspire the next generation, facilitate collaboration and create an ecosystem where tech companies can flourish. Last year 68 events took place in 40 locations across the city. this year is a virtual format, with 80 events scheduled.
The session on 14th October will focus on FinTech and Entrepreneurship, addressing points such as :
- Key recent developments in FinTech
- From Startup to Scaleup
- FinTech initiatives in the Midlands today
- Opportunities on offer
- Key considerations for growth and expectations for the future
The event comes at an interesting time in FinTech, with the impact of Covid offering the potential to remove regional barriers for firms outside London, and a strategic review of UK FinTech currently underway and due to be completed early in 2021.
In May 2020, Whitecap published its inaugural report in the West Midlands FinTech ecosystem, and in the session David Mellor (one of the report authors) and the other speakers will reflect on the findings and the progress made over recent months.
Speakers at the event include:
- Peter Cunnane – Innovate Finance
- Hilary Smyth-Allen – Greater Birmingham & Solihull LEP
- David Mellor – Whitecap Consulting
- Gillian Painter – The Investment Association
- John Stewart – NatWest
- Julia Streets – Streets Consulting (chair)