Strategy Consultant, Whitecap Consulting (Manchester), Full Time
Whitecap is an independent regional strategy consulting firm seeking an ambitious, strategically orientated and commercially aware junior consultant to support client work across a range of market sectors including: Financial Services, Technology, FinTech, Higher Education, Consumer & Retail, Manufacturing, Healthcare, Property and Professional Services.
Whitecap works with organisations with a turnover of typically £10m-300m, although the client base includes both smaller and larger organisations.
The firm’s clients are mainly private sector service industry companies and professional advisers, who engage Whitecap to help with one or more of the following:
- Strategy development
- Business planning
- Implementation support
- Commercial due diligence
The firm was founded in May 2012 by Richard Coates, Managing Director, with Julian Wells joining as Director in 2013. Whitecap accelerated its growth and expanded its regional footprint with the addition of 3 new Directors in 2017 when Luke Freeman, Stefan Haase and Lal Tawney joined the business. Recently Whitecap has opened satellite offices in Newcastle, Bristol and Birmingham.
The Strategy Consultant will be directly involved in the portfolio of client work as well as supporting Whitecap’s own business development aims.
Working closely with the Directors, the Consultant will benefit from their combined experience of working in strategy and marketing disciplines. Working at Whitecap will provide the successful candidate with a diverse hands-on experience that could be used as a springboard for a future career in consulting or a wide range of businesses / industries.
To shape, plan and deliver client advisory workstreams and projects, including strategy advisory and commercial due diligence (cdd) projects. To support the development of the wider Whitecap business through opportunity identification and relationship building.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- To support the delivery of consulting and cdd projects through research, analysis and the generation and presentation of relevant insight
- To deliver key work packages within consulting and cdd projects
- To lead selected projects, including the co-ordination and planning of internal and external resource, taking accountability for the shaping and production of high quality deliverables and being the primary point of contact for the client
- To support client engagement through attendance and contribution to meetings and workshops
- To support project delivery through the production of high quality written and verbal outputs
- To support business development through market opportunity research and analysis
- To support business development through the production of high quality blogs, discussion papers and proposals and through engagement with the regional business ecosystem at events and presentations
- To support the learning and development of other members of the Whitecap team through the sharing of best practice
- To enhance the Whitecap brand through relationship building with existing clients
- To support the development of the overall Whitecap proposition through the production of high quality documents outlining areas of organisational expertise, approach and case studies
- Liaise and attend meetings with other Whitecap team members necessary to perform duties and aid business and organisational development
This role is suited to a graduate ideally with a minimum of 7-8 years’ work experience. There is a requirement for strong strategic thinking and conceptual thinking skills, strong research and analytical skills, and an ability to communicate effectively via written media. The Strategy Consultant will need to understand the principles of commercial strategy and strategic marketing including target business models and target operating models, market segmentation and proposition development, drivers of customer behaviour and market disruption. Must be adept in use of MS Office, particularly Excel, Powerpoint and Word.